here you can find the solution for the game “Unfinished cased of Holmes”
Check this only if you’re blocked and used all tips!!
The First step is to read the introduction letter. In the first letter the highlighted typos are made on purpose: the letters are jumping 1 step to the right. S=>D, W=>E etc. The decrypted sentence will be: “If you decide to find me, start with the first clue – our house, which is named after my wife”
+ Wife’s name
- On the house there is an encrypted message which should lead to the name of the house mistress. Symbols are similar to the those, which are present in the park. As listed on the plan page park is actually a SUDOKU puzzle
- Park SUDOKU puzzle contained of 6 elements: these should be unique in each diagonal, circle, and segment
- Once all elements are filled in by using sudoku concept, park will contain symbols as shown below and the message on the house can be read as: ?ELENA. Still the first letter is missing
- First letter can be derived by matching the address specified in the question of Level 1 and the one on the house plan: Belford Avenue 145/m. Therefore the last missing (first) letter is ‘M’ and the name is MELENA
- In the first step vinyl record needs to be assembled to read the inscription
- Each music note represents letter, conversion between notes and letters can be discovered looking to the combination of notes/letters in the Opera sheet and Cryptology book. The rule to find a letter corresponding to the note is based on:
- Location of the note on the note sheet: each horizontal line in the notes sheet represents horizontal line in the Cryptology book
- Number of lines in the note: each vertical line in the note represents vertical line in the Cryptology book
- Treble clef represents beginning of the sentence
- inscription on the vinyl will read as: DUMAS
+ Husband’s name
- Now it is time to move one page back as pointed out in the song lyrics and the hand sign. On this page there is a list of adventure books and torn pages. Hint in the notebook picture considering remaining words is read as “His name in the adventure books”
- The number (year) from Dumas’ books will lead to one of his works: Prisoner of Chateau d’If. There is one page with prisoner and in the text there is a name: Edmond.
+ Ship’s name(Origami)
- It’s required to assemble origami which will get form of ship with the name of the ship on lifebuoy.
- Part of the name is missing but can be found on the photo.
- Once bringing both pieces together it’s possible to read beginning of the ship name: HMS ATHE …
Answer: HMS ATHE
+ Battle(Crimean war)
- In the award list there are several ships with matching ship name and the right person can be discovered by matching location of the battle.
- As written on photo its Edmond’s first medal and the Photographer is from Crimea.
- The last column in the book contains short codes designating the battle locations, i.e. O. stands for Odessa, S. stands for Sebastopol. The only city with a battle in Crimea is Sebastopol
+ Family name
- Ship name: HMS*Athe
- Battle name: Sebastopol (short code S)
- Sailor name: Edmond (starts with E)
There is only one combination on award list which leads to the entry with family name: Redford
+ Ship’s destination
- Input materials lead to the page with sundial cannon and “Gold Rush” inscription leads to the news paper with gold rush articles, and the target is to understand to which destination Edmond traveled
- On the sundial cannon page there is formula how to calculate the time setting the cannon in certain degree in the sundial clock, formula components are as following:
- Weight of top cannonball
- Three out of four components can be taken for the newspaper. But first the date needs to be chosen between 23rd and 24th of June. Looking back to initial letter from level 1 – it was written on 23rd June and it was stated that Edmond will leave the country tomorrow. Therefore the date to select wind value is 24th June and the value is 11. Value of sunrise and sunset is taken from Yoga ad. Values are respectively: 6 and 8
- The remaining value in the formula is cannonball weight. This can be selected from the cannonball pyramid. Cannonballs are stacked in such a way that the weight of top ball equals to the sum of four balls supporting it. This formula will bring to the solution of top ball is equal to 71
- Now we have all components of the formula and angle α equals: 11 + 71 – (6+8)/2 = 75 °. Rotating canon to this position on the sundial clock will point to 2 o’clock.
- In the last step using time (2 o’clock and date June 24th) from the ship schedule we can find that destination was Perth
+ Cipher Machine (KEY)
- As written in the manual for the location cipher machine, first we need to set gears in the right order. This can be achieved using the number of the star beams on the gears. The stars can be also found in the middle of each barometer wheel. Therefore the gears need to be ordered in the same sequence: the wheel with 7 star beams on the left, with 5 beams in the middle, and with 6 beams on the right.
- The next step is to find a KEY which needs be set on the gears from left to right as shown on the instructions
- In order to find this key, check the Milky Way on the stellar map. Check the inscription in the bottom of the map – it is titles “Milky Way Map”. Looking closely at the stars on the Milky Way you can discover constellations in the shape of letters. The sentence on the Milky Way is read: The key is sun.
- SUN is a key and it needs to be set on the gears
+ Final destination city
- One coordinate -30.9545 is already given and the name of the city finishing with ARDIE is visible on the map
- As described in the encyclopedia there is a hypothesis stating that the mask color is bound to a particular element.The elements are represented on the map as regions (tribes)of Australia, while the compatible tribes (elements) have border between each other. So judging by the example in encyclopedia it can be concluded that
- Eye color represents color of the region/tribe/element, which the mask belongs to;
- Other colors on the mask represent the colors of the neighboring regions that have border with the current region of the mask. In other words, these other colors help locate the neighboring regions.
- The above rules must be applied in order to find the location of each mask. There is an image of the mask discovered in the room and this mask belongs to Western Australia as known from the previous level. The first step would be to start with a mask with only light blue color indicating that it has just one border. The only region like this is Tasmania. Following the same rule all other masks can be placed on the map.
- Now when the map is filled the eye color of the mask belonging to Western Australia is revealed: it is violet. The star of elements allows interpreting the color that symbolizes Night. Thus, the element which is incompatible with night and can therefore activate the poison is Sun.
The last quiz allows solving the entire case: The reason for the nightmares and the death of Melena was a poison activated when the mask was exposed to the sunlight.